Monday 26 September 2016

thoughts on David Sedaris - "Me Talk Pretty One Day" - City of Angels

Haven't quite finished this book...

I am sure I have mentioned before that I am a terrible reader...in the sense that I start something, get right into it, usually about a quarter of the way through, and then it sits, next to my bed gathering dust like most of my good intentions.

I want to share my thoughts on the chapter "City of Angels".

I could really relate to how Sedaris described New York.  As a tourist there, many years ago, just after 9/11, I honestly marvelled at how "un-American" the place seemed.  I loved it.  I loved that the Americans there weren't "Americans", they were "New Yorkers", they were different, much less obnoxious, much more fun.  So I laughed as he described Bonnie, I mean he essentially described  the American stereotype.  I have met a few like Bonnie in my time working and travelling, so it's always funny to hear an American describe a fellow American in that way.

I did question how Alisha could not see Bonnie's true colours prior to travelling with her, however then I remembered the two times I went overseas with people who I got along great with in my everyday life, but who in the travelling life - were the complete opposite.  Now I know I am not the easiest person to travel with, but it's so interesting how you can take two people who have great relationships out of their comfort zone and see the relationship capitulate.  Flash back to me, left standing on a subway platform in the middle of NYC in 2004 as my "best friend" stormed off after I mentioned we'd caught the wrong train...to be fair, I may have mentioned it in a certain tone....come on, don't judge, it was the end of the trip, we'd been travelling together for a month, it was time for a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment