Tuesday 30 August 2016

Week 4 - thoughts on Fun Home: A family tragicomic by Alison Bechdel

Just some thoughts on Fun Home.  I feel so much sadness for Bechdel's father and their relationship.  I see parts of myself in her father.  Perhaps it's the self loathing, the yearning to be "normal".  You end up beating yourself up about it so much that you end up being a complete arsehole to everyone you love.  I've been there, and sometimes I'm still there.  The book made my cry and it made me wonder if Bechdel's father ever truly experienced any form of happiness throughout his life.  His effort to conform to society's expectations of the norm meant that he had to hide his true self, resulting in resentment and pain.  I think that as Bechdel got older she realised that the father she had grown up with, was not his real self and I think that helped her to at least understand why he was the way he was.




No comments:

Post a Comment